Overwatch is a highly competitive game, but not everyone plays on a PC. The Overwatch League might be played with a mouse and keyboard, but a lot of players prefer to stick to their console exclusively. Sure, you’re not going to be competing at the top tier, but achieving a high rank on console is still a major accomplishment. With a console, you also isolate yourself from the advantage that some PC users get over others by way of more expensive equipment. Overwatch 2 on PS5 is a near level playing field. While the hardware is the same across the board though, the best Overwatch settings PS5 in 2022 can help you improve your performance significantly.
You don’t get full control over your video settings and frames per second like you would with the best Overwatch settings on PC. However, you can still see a big improvement by using the best Overwatch 2 settings for PS5. The settings that fully optimize the game can help to streamline your interaction, cut down on input lag, and optimize your controls to get the most out of the game.
This guide covers some recommendations for the best Overwatch settings PS5 in 2022. There are some unique concerns when you’re playing on a PS5. These factors are a big thing separating good console players from mediocre ones. This is what you need to know:
The Best Overwatch 2 Settings PS5 2022
Your in-game settings in Overwatch can be divided up into a few categories, the first thing you need to think about though is your sensitivities. This is one of the trickier areas for console players. Especially with bugs introduced recently. However, the best Overwatch 2 settings PS5 can still be a major improvment.
Overwatch 2 PS5 Sensitivities – Finding the Best Ones for You
When you’re looking to optimize your settings, you need to know what’s important. Aim is probably the biggest factor in how your controls can affect your performance. When you browse the Overwatch pro settings like those of Wraxu and Ryujehong you find that their sensitivities are on the lower end for precision, or higher for a focus on a responsive turn speed. However, that’s with a mouse. Where bigger movements are possible. On console, you’re naturally limited by the working area of your sticks.
Although, there’s differences in exact picks for which numbers to use, the same principles apply on console. The settings you have to use to achieve it are different though. This is what you need to know about sensitivity, turn speed, and how to optimize everything.
Turn Speed or Precision?
One important factor in deciding what settings you should be using is your turn speed. This is how quickly you can perform a full turn. If your sensitivity is higher, your turn speed will be quicker. That in turn means that you’re precision with your aim is going to be lower, or at least significantly harder to control. So where do you find a proper balance between the two? It partially comes down to which hero you’re playing.
If you’re using a character like Tracer then turn speed is pretty important for playing reactively, and you can rely partially on aim assist to help with the precision. However, characters with longer range and slower engagements may need a larger focus on precision.
For a character where you need to turn quick. Go for higher sensitivities. For those that need precision, go for lower ones. That’s within reason of staying mobile though. We’ve got some full recommendations for the best Overwatch PS5 settings on sensitivities.
The Best Overwatch 2 Settings PS5 – Sensitivities
It is difficult to recommend a single all-size-fits-all sensitivity, because it does vary greatly depending on the player. Part of this is from your muscle memory and how you’re used to playing shooters. You want to be able to build skill at a certain sensitivity and not mess around with it too much. However, there’s some guidelines and good places to start. From here you can play around in the target range and dial it in.
These are some starting points for each of these settings, from here you can fine-tune to find the perfect sensitivity for you.
Best Overwatch Sensitivities PS4 for Turn Speed Characters
- Horizontal Sensitivity – 50
- Vertical Sensitivity – 60
Best Overwatch Sensitivities PS4 for Precision
- Horizontal Sensitivities – 30
- Vertical Sensitivity – 40
Advanced Sensitivity Overwatch 2 PS5 Settings
The best Overwatch settings for PS5 in 2022 go beyond just the simple sensitivity number. Those advanced settings for controls need to be adjusted too. These are our recommendations:
- Aim Assist Strength – 100.
- Aim Assist Window Side – 60. Although you can higher.
- Aim Assist Ease in – 25
- Aim Smoothing – This one is partially personal preference, it’s been causing problems in recent updates too. This is best turned off for precision characters where it interferes with how your aim is translated. If your aim is far too jittery though, putting a little bit of this on can be beneficial.
- Invert Look – This is a controversial one, a lot of players inexplicably only play games with an inverted view. Why is a mystery. But if you’re someone who needs this turned on, you probably already know that.
- Vibration – This shakes your aim while you’re under fire, not the best idea.
- Allied Health bars – More feedback is always better for seeing what is going on. This is pretty essential if you’re playing as a healer.
Best Overwatch 2 PS5 Settings – Aim Technique
Your aim technique is another area of your sensitivities that gets a bit complicated. This deals with the increase in turn speed depending on how you use your stick. It exists to counter-act that precision or speed dilemma detailed above, but doesn’t really solve the problem. These are your options:
This setting makes the inner area of your stick more responsive than the outer. This goes some way towards fixing the different sensitivities you need to turn quickly and be precise. Essentially, you’re going to be able to get precision in the inner circle of your thumbstick, and speed in turning/movement on the outer section. A little tricky to get used to, but once you do it can be a big improvement. This one particularly works well if you’e using an add-on to lengthen your sticks.
This one gradually ramps up your turn speed as you tilt the stick more. It is a bit more choppy than Dual Zone, dividing your stick space into quite a few more fragments, each with their own speeds. This one is hard to get a feel for on a standard DualShock. If you’re using an accessory to make your sticks longer though, it can work better too. However, for a lot of players this one isn’t going to be great. It does work better for precision characters than turn speed though, as you’ll rarely be knocking the sticks all the way to one side. This isn’t best pick for the best Overwatch 2 settings PS5.
This one basically just gets faster and faster and you move the stick. This one might be the simplest to get used to, so it could be make a good recommendation for most players. Dual Zone is a bit simpler to actually use on a standard DualShock though. Like the exponential, this setting is more helpful on a controller with longer sticks. A deadzone on your sticks can also play havoc with this setting, so make sure you’re adjusting for them if your gamepad has seen better days. We cover how you can get exact deadline measurements in our guide on how to aim better Overwatch 2 PS5.
This graph is a good visual illustration of how these three settings work. Bear in mind how much of the line is actually eaten up by deadzones though. Especially with those new PS5 DualShocks’ sticks.
The Best Overwatch Settings PS5 2022 – Video Settings
The video settings are a huge part of fully optimising your PC settings. For the best Overwatch 2 settings PS5 though, they aren’t quite as vital. These are all of the options in this section
- Gamma Correction – This doesn’t need altering.
- Contrast – This should be fine at the pre-set unless you have a broken monitor or TV. In which case, the best Overwatch 2 PS5 settings are kind of irrelevant.
- Brightness – Turn this up a bit from the default. Put it up gradually until you have full visibility. This will help you see everything happening in -game, even in darker spots. Having some maps changes to night-time without major changes has reduced visibility in some places.
- Show Network Stats – On. This is just good feedback about your connection.
Best Overwatch 2 PS5 Settings – Gameplay Settings
The majority of the gameplay settings are basically just toggles for your personal preference. There are a few that you need to look at though. These are some picks for the best choices in this category of the best Overwatch PS5 settings:
- Always Skip Kill Cam – Off
- Kill Feed Display – On
- Network Quality notifications – Off
- Limit Client/Server Send Rate – Of f
There aren’t too many huge choices here. Although, those that give extra information and feedback are useful. None of these are completely vital for actually improving your performance, but they each provide feedback. That can be feedback on how you died, or how your internet is running. Both sets of information are going to help you improve, either by showing where you messed up or telling you that you need to buy an ethernet cable.
A lot of your Overwatch 2 PS5 settings are dependent on which controller you’re using. There are some controllers out there that allow you to be a lot more responsive than others. They have better response times on their sticks, triggers, or even extra buttons to make things easier.
Your choice of controller plays a role in your performance, so switching from the console’s default controller might help you improve. You could also consider using a Strike pack or back buttons for the DualShock as a budget option. This gives you extra binds so you can keep your thumbs on the sticks at all times, without having to buy a very expensive controller. Watch out for degradation to the sticks on your Gamepad too. The PS5’s DualShock doesn’t seem as solid as the PS4 one.
Other Tips for Overwatch on PS4
That’s how you can optimize your settings for Overwatch on PS4 in 2022. However, there are a few extra steps you can take to make sure you’re getting the best quality possible:
- Internet – Use a wired internet connection. This will significantly improve your connection and cut down on any problems. It also helps everyone who you’re playing with by not having one laggy player around.
- Input Lag – Like with PCs and Monitors, consoles and TVs have a relationship that can cause lag. These guides run over how to cut down on general console display lag which can be a big help.
- Wired Connection for Controller? – For some consoles, using a wired controller can cut down on your input lag. Not the case on the PS5. Unfortunately, the console only uses the wire to charge your controller, it doesn’t cut down on lag at all. So the connection you get via Bluetooth is about as good it’s going to get for that Gamepad. This is more frustrating for fighting games, but it’s irritating for PS5!
Those are all of your tips for improving your gameplay on the PS4. The best Overwatch settings for PS4 in 2022 are a good start, you then just have to work on improving your actual skill! You can also check out the Overwatch pro settings if you need more inspiration.